(Photo Credit: Michael Maes)
I (Heart) Sharks!
As an ocean lover, I love sharks! Sharks deserve a lot of love. Why? They are amazing and majestic animals.
Sharks have inhabited the ocean for more than 400 million years, and they play a key role in maintaining the health of the ocean. Sharks are the apex predators of the ocean, as a result, they are responsible for keeping other marine life in healthy balance and regulate the oceans. The decline in shark populations cause the balance of the eco-system and the balance of the ocean to be seriously upset. Thus, it is imperative that we come together and raise awareness about the importance of sharks and the pivotal role they play in maintaining the eco-system and the health of the ocean. It is vital that we ensure that there are healthy populations of sharks worldwide.
Top 5 Reasons To Love Sharks
1. There are more than 500 species of sharks swimming in the ocean. Which one is your favorite?
2. Hammerheads do not lay eggs. A female gives birth to live young. One litter can range from six to about 50 pups.
3. Sharks have amazing adaptation capabilities.
4. When sharks sleep, they sleep with their eyes open. Sharks do this because only one side of the brain sleeps at a time so that they are able to continue the cycle of taking in air as they rest.
5. Sharks generally can be found in depths from 7,000 feet to 10,000 feet.
How cool are sharks? Sharks deserve a lot of love and respect. Sharks are valuable to the ocean.
Check out this great video by Racing Extinction on why sharks matter.