Happy World Environment Day! Help educate your community and raise awareness about global environmental issues as well as ways to help protect the environment.
10 Eco Facts
1. The average person generates over 4 pounds of trash every day and about 1.5 tons of solid waste per year.
2. Over 75% of waste is recyclable, but we only recycle about 30% of it.
3. North Americans throw away 2.5 million plastic bottles every hour.
4. We generate 21.5 million tons of food waste each year. If we composted that food, it would reduce the same amount of greenhouse gas as taking 2 million cars off the road.
5. A plastic bag can take up to 1,000 years to decompose.
6. Fish ingest an estimated 12,000 to 24,000 tons of plastic per year in the Pacific Ocean.
7. Over 100,000 marine mammals and one million seabirds die each year from ingesting or becoming entangled in plastic.
8. 14 billion pounds of garbage are dumped into the ocean every year. Most of it is plastic.
9. One tree removes about 1 ton of CO2 per year.
10. Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to listen to a full album on your iPod. Recycling 100 cans could light your bedroom for two whole weeks.
Here are some great videos about World Environment Day.